<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, June 13, 2005

What about church sizes?

While emailing with a friend, I began to further contemplate the benefits and downsides of church sizes. I am the pastor of what I very affectionately call a micro-church. Here is my little internal debate.

There are blessings to both formats large and small churches. I find that the smaller ones can be better relationally though a big church with small groups can pull this off too and smaller churches can become "closed." Larger churches usually have more in the way of resources but it usually requires and act of congress and 16 committees to get anything done. I hate the committee concept and I have yet to find a church board in the Bible. Don't get me started. I have no problem with accountability and wise use of resources, but too often the Spirit cannot move without the permission of the board. I much prefer a deacon led structure, where the people are in charge of both the spiritual and the business of the church. When you split those two you have a compartmentalized church,this is spiritual and this is business mentality where things get really messed up. Christians can't afford to live compartmentalized lives, neither can churches.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?