<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Why I gave up on politics!

A new online friend was explaining to me why he thinks that Jesus was more liberal than conservative. Here is my response.

I think it goes a bit beyond political ideology. I think Jesus was Jesus and if we try to define Him by ideology we risk placing Him into our mold. He was both radically conservative and liberal because He was ultimately righteous. He dealt with what was. He despised sin but loved sinners. He loved the law but despised legalism. He gave us a mirror to ourselves in that He showed us what we ultimately could be were we to take up our crosses and follow Him and He showed us that in our self righteousness, we have a long way to go!

This is really what drove me away from politics, including church politics. For example, After having lived through two miscarriages, I am radically prolife, that pushed me more than anything else to the republican party. But there's a problem with that logic. It's not really a problem that can be legislated, it's a problem of the heart. While I deeply wish there would never be another abortion, I also know that a law against abortion would never stop it. No the answer is the Gospel going forth and changing hearts. It's churches putting money into youth ministry and being unafraid to handle the topics of sexuality. It's the people of God laying aside their stupid ignorant protest signs and supporting those who find themselves pregnant and alone and realizing that we need to put our money where our mouths are. The political solution will never work. (Please note here also that while I am pro-life, I am one of the harshest critics of the pro-life movement, because I think by and large they have forgotten how to love. An Abortion is Homicide tshirt will not do any good at all!)

I am struggling to be anti death penalty, though every time I think I have it down, somebody murders a child and I am right back on the fence. I struggle with the war, but I don't know what else you do when someone turns planes into cruise missiles. I think the bottom line is we should have learned a lesson long ago from the children of Israel. They had the perfect king, but it wasn't good enough for them, they wanted a human king just like everyone else and we all see how well that went for them. Even the smartest man in the world got turned around and messed up big time. I'm not convinced any man can do the job of leading 250,000,000 people. You are guaranteed to make mistakes and tick off at least half the people. That's why I have given up on politics and have resigned myself to the fact that my mission inlife is to turn people's hearts to the only one who can clean up the mess we find ourselves in.
Comments:
Your notes on christianity being made too complex are what drew me to reading your blog...nice, keep it up.

Stop by, I write a lot about what's wrong with the church these days.
 
I stopped by and left a comment. You do nice work. Loved the StarWars parallel post.
Take care,
dave
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?