<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, May 20, 2005

Don't forget the volunteers/bivocational

I wrote the following post in response to a meeting for a planning committee for a regional youth event I agreed to be on. Our first two meetings were held on Saturdays. I knew and announced in advance that the second meeting fell on a previous engagement before I signed up. At that meeting the membership of the committee decided to hold the rest of their meetings in the middle of the week in the middle of the day. They asked for response to the minutes, this is what I wrote:

Hate to flog a dead horse, but if these meetings were held when we could bivocational people can attend, I for one would be there.
I have seen a lot of ideas for good workshops, I think it's just a matter of compiling them into a schedule The problem with this goes to the line above.
Sorry, but I am sensitive about this. The vast majority of the youth ministry folks we are gearing this toward are in the same boat I am in and I have struggled with this for years. Having a local youth ministry network almost never did me a bit of good as they held one meeting in the five years I specifically did youth ministry, that I could attend. When I tried to organize my own group for the "rest of us" I was informed that I was duplicating the efforts of the network. We bivocational folks are already blowing most of our very limited vacation time for ministry functions. A Saturday meeting now and again would really be beneficial especially due to the fact that it is a three hour drive to where you are.
God bless,
Dave

How can we expect to meet the lost where they are if we can't even alter our schedules for the found. Just a thought.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?