<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, July 23, 2004

Priorities
I often wonder why we in ministry (especially youth ministry) are expected to behave so much differently that our cohorts in the secular world. No I don't mean morally, or ethically, I know we are called to a higher standard. Let me give an example.

I recently read a note that was sent regarding why a teen could not make it to a church event. Part of the reason was because the event was during a particular sport season, the event would cause the teen to miss a practice. If the teen missed the practice, the teen would be benched for at least two games and not start several more. Let's not be too tough on the kid, that is a tough decision for a high schooler. My problem is with the coach but to a larger degree, my problem is with our society and the standards and priorities we are setting.

What would happen if youth folks acted like this coach? Answer: we'd be fired for demanding too much from our kids. And yet it is fully expected behavior from someone who teaches something as eternally significant as (a sport). Priorities?????

I once had a talk with one of my youth. She was explaining about having to run laps for not properly demonstrating a skill. I asked what would happen if I did a similar thing in youth group. Oooh it got deathly quiet. What are we teaching our kids when we allow coaches to be tyrannical but expect youth workers to cower in the corner and accept, for God and our ministries, whatever crumbs of time are left over. Anyone remember first fruits? Just a thought.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?